If I wrongly fired for stealing and my ex-boss is telling everyone that I did which is ruining my reputation, can I do anything about it?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I wrongly fired for stealing and my ex-boss is telling everyone that I did which is ruining my reputation, can I do anything about it?

About 6 days before I got fired I was asked to take a pay cut. I refused but was then told it was OK but I would have to drive 1 1/2 hours to his other facility. I said yes and then he fired me for stealing when I had records and proof that I didn’t however he would not let me show him the reports.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you probably can't do anything about being fired, unless you had an employment contract protecting your job (for example, defining the process for termination, or limiting why you could be fired). That's because without an employment contract, you are an employee at will, and therefore may be fired at any time, for any reason, or even no reason at all. If you are employee at will, if your employer wants to fire you, they can.

Second, though, if the employer is publically (so to any other people, including coworkers or customers) making an untrue statement of fact about you (saying you stole, which is a factual statement, when you did not) and that statement could damage your reputation (which being accused of theft could), you have have grounds to sue for defamation. You should consult with an attorney on the matter. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption