If I’ve lived with my a uncle for 3 months, can he just kick me out in 3 days for not paying the water bill which isn’t even due yet?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve lived with my a uncle for 3 months, can he just kick me out in 3 days for not paying the water bill which isn’t even due yet?

The bil is due in 3 days.

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you are suppossed to be paying rent (or a form of rent such as the water bill), you will be considered to be a month-to-month tenant. This is true whether or not you had a formal lease agreement with your uncle. Accordingly, you are entitled to anywhere from a 3-30 day notice to vacate (depending on state law). If you fail to remove yourself from the premises at the end of that time, then your uncle will have to go to court and file an "unlawful detainer' acion. Until the court issues you a writ of possession, he can do nothing to make you leave. After that time however, if you still fail to leave, your uncle can have the sheriff come and remove you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption