If I used an “unlimited” power of attorney to sign a quit claim deed, and the person later disputes it, what are my options?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I used an “unlimited” power of attorney to sign a quit claim deed, and the person later disputes it, what are my options?

About a year or so ago, my aunt signed “unlimited” power of attorney to me because she was sick and near dying in the hospital. With the power of attorney she gave me I signed a quit claim deed on her behalf to myself (which was her wish) . I just got a summons to court saying that I have to reply within 20 days or it will default to her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help from ana ttorney in your area who can read the court documents filed against you.  She is obviously moving to set aside the transfer as fraudulent or a breach of your fiduciary duty or both.  You could get in to big trouble with all of this so please seek help. You need to respond to the documents in court. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption