What to do if my stepdad takes my brother away with no notification because of marriage problems?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my stepdad takes my brother away with no notification because of marriage problems?

My actual mother is thinking about leaving my stepdad because of multiple issues. In a past argument he wanted to take my brother because he did not want him to stay with us. My mom and I are more than enough suited to take care of him. So I felt scared. What is your advice if this happens again or if he actually takes him and starts driving off? What could I possibly do?

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is obvious from your question that you are kind and caring sibling.  Is this your half brother?  Does he have any sort of disabilities maybe?  I thought that when you said that you and your mom were more than "suited" to take care of him it maybe meant something more.  I am assuming that you are a minor - a kid - yourself.  If that is the case there is really nothing that you can legally do to help the situation, except to be supportive of your Mother and the decisions that she has to make and the actions that she has to take.  If, however, the situation becomes volatile or abusive you can call the police and you should.  Please speak with some one at school - like your guidance counselor - or if you are religious, your Priest, pastor or Rabbi, for help and support for yourself.   And maybe you should speak with your Mom about how you feel.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption