If I think my husband was still married or used invalid SS number on paperwork, how can I find out?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I think my husband was still married or used invalid SS number on paperwork, how can I find out?

If I think my husband was still married when we got married, how can I find out for sure? I am not even sure that he used his SS on the paperwork. How can I find out if he did or did not use the correct . I know that if he was married it makes out marriage invalid. If he did not use the correct SS would that make it invalid as well?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


Kenneth Berger / Kenneth A. Berger, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can search the court divorce records to see if he obtained a divorce prior to your marriage.

But, I question if you are asking the best question.  What are you really trying to accomplish?  Are you looking to get divorced?  If so, it may be easiest to just file for divorce and get it over with.


As always, my comments are only applicable to Washington State and are not a substitute for getting competent, local, and more comprehensive, legal help.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption