If I texted my landlord I would like to stay for another year, would that text message be considered a new lease?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I texted my landlord I would like to stay for another year, would that text message be considered a new lease?

I never signed a new rental lease, but
texted my landlord that we would like to
stay another year. Can I legally move
out before the lease is up?

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally, if you did not sign a written lease or lease renwal, even if you expressed (even via text) an interest in staying longer, you can move out at the end of the current lease term or, if you have stayed past it already, on a month's notice (when you remain a tenant without a written lease, you do so as a month-to-month tenant on an oral, or unwritten, lease). 
That is the general rule. If the lease stated that it would renew if you failed to provide notice of nonrenewal in time, then presumably, by texting that you wanted to stay, you did not provide notice of non-renewal and the lease would therefore have renewed. Double check what, if anything, you lease had said about renewal to confirm your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption