If I start a mobile detail/car wash business, do I need to provide our “contract labor” workers with workers compensation?

UPDATED: May 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I start a mobile detail/car wash business, do I need to provide our “contract labor” workers with workers compensation?

Or could I file with TDI and advise the employee of non-coverage with a notice and signed contract?

Asked on May 2, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the laborers who are working for you in your mobile detail car wash business are employees as opposed to independent contractors you are required under the law to provide them with worker's compensation insurance.

If they are indpendent contractors you do not. From what you have written, if you have control over the coming and going of these individuals who will be working for you, they would most likely be deemed employees under the law. I suggest that you consult with a business lawyer further to determine whether the people working for you with respect to the control you have over them are employees or independent contractors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption