If I signed with a real estate agent in one state, can I use an agent in another state if my first agent is not licensed in the second state?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed with a real estate agent in one state, can I use an agent in another state if my first agent is not licensed in the second state?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Rhode Island


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the real estate laws promulgated by the department of real estate in each state, a real estate in order to transact a real estate sale or mortgage must be licensed in the state where the real property is located as a real estate agent to be involved in the sale or broker the loan for a client.

If you signed an agreement with a real estate agent who is not licensed in the state of Rhode Island to sell real property that you own in Rhode Island, that real estate agent cannot transact the sale as a listing agent in Rhode Island. If this is the situation, the real estate agent who you signed with to list your property in Rhode Island needs to sign a written cancellation of the listing with you.

Once you have a signed cancellation of the listing by one real estate agent and his or her brokerage, only then should you sign a new lisitng agreement with another agent and brokerage. You do not want to be in a situation where you have two existing listing agreements with two different brokerages for the same property at the same time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption