IfI signed a piece of paper saying thatI owed money to my landlord and it wasn’t notarized, amI legally obligated to pay?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI signed a piece of paper saying thatI owed money to my landlord and it wasn’t notarized, amI legally obligated to pay?

I rented a house from the landlord and I still owe around $700.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you signed a piece of paper stating that you owed your landlord a set amount of money, most likely it was a "promissory note". A "promissory note" is not required to have the signer's signature notarized upon it to be valid.

Read the terms of the document that you signed. Its terms control how much your agreed to pay the landlord, any accrued interest rate, and when the landlord is to be paid under this document (weekly, monthly or otherwise).

The document you signed is an important legal document in that it is an admission by you that you owe your landlord a certain sum of money. By signing the document you agreed that you are legally obligated to pay the amount stated within it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption