If I requested a copy of my entire employee file from HR, are they required to give it to me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I requested a copy of my entire employee file from HR, are they required to give it to me?

I asked for a copy of my employee file after I was terminated for being late. However I was only written up 1 time for it. I was late 12 more times after that write up, however it was not until after I reported a supervisor that I was then let go for being late to work. I requested a copy of my employee file from my HR manager and even though I was very clear when speaking that I didn’t just want a copy of my performance reviews but everything and anything that was in my employee file. She gave me a copy of my performance review and that was it. I requested again a copy of my employee file and have yet to get anything from them. Can they deny me a copy of my employee file?

Asked on February 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, in AZ your employer is not required to give you a copy of your personnel file as that documentation is considered the employer's property. That having been said, certain employment contracts may sometimes provide a current or ex-employee with a right to inspect and copy their personnel file. Accordingly, unless you have a collective bargaining/union agreement or employment contract that gives you the right to this information, legally it need not be provided to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption