If I refused a lie detector test after an officer said that he believed I committed a crime, what happens next?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I refused a lie detector test after an officer said that he believed I committed a crime, what happens next?

Asked on February 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, Maryland


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The officer is probably telling you this as an interrogation technique because he is not sure.  They don't usually offer polygraphs to people they are know are guilty-- they just arrest them.   He cannot require you to take the polygraph if you are the defendant-- it is your right to refuse the lie detector test. 

As far as what happens next, it will just depend on the investigation and the evidence they have against you.  If they don't quite have enough, then the charges will not go forward.  If the officer continues to investigate the case and discovers better evidence of your guilt, then you could eventually be charged and arrested for the allegations. 

It doesn't sound like you need full blown representation... yet.   But to help your situation, consider hiring an attorney just to sit with you next time this officer wants to talk to you.  Just to go with you will cost a nominal fee, and is usually a small investment for avoiding making statements that could cause you more serious problems later. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption