If I quit, can my boss request that I pay him back for the personal expenses that he paid for me while I was employed?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit, can my boss request that I pay him back for the personal expenses that he paid for me while I was employed?

About 10 months ago, my boss asked me if I want a monetary raise or a new vehicle. I chose the vehicle. I traded in my old car, paid the downpayment and with that started a 36 month lease. My boss has been making the payments on the lease. The vehicle is in my name only. The boss has also been paying for my car insurance. So I didn’t see more money in my bank account but I got a new car as a raise – I wouldn’t have gotten it otherwise. Now I am concerned that he will come after me if I decide to get a different job. Can he?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It depends entirely on what the agreement between you and he was. It would be legal for him to have paid it all, regardless of whether you stay employed or not. It would be legal for him to make payments as long as you are employed, but then stop--but also not seek return of the payments he's already made. Or it would be legal for your boss to seek return of all monies for the car to date paid if you leave before the end of the lease. Any of these scenarios--or additional ones, which are also possible--are legal, so it all comes down to what was agreed. If you and your boss disagree about what the agreement was, you may end up in litigation, where you and he will each try to prove your interpretation, based on testimony, any emails or correspondence or memos, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption