If I purchase a commercial property at an upset tax sale, are the contents of the building legally mine?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I purchase a commercial property at an upset tax sale, are the contents of the building legally mine?

My wife and I are considering bidding on
a commercial property that is full of
stuff including an old car, a boat, etc.
If we win the bid, do the contents
become our property?

Asked on September 2, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Not automatically; only the real estate is subject to the tax sale (since, after all, the tax that whose nonpayment resulted in the sale, real estate tax, itself only applied to the building, not its contents.) There is a process for claiming abandoned personal property (anything that is not real estate) in or on your property, but it varies state by state, and is dfferent for vehicles than for other abandoned property. It also takes some time and effort. Consult with a local attorney about what is involved in trying to claim abandoend property in your state, so you can decide if it is worthwhile doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption