If I own my home, can I file for bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own my home, can I file for bankruptcy?

Asked on April 11, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


kirk myers / Harrington & Myers

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

the real question is how much you owe on your home.


Generally you can always file a chapter 13, which allows you to pay your bills back over time.  The value of your house can impact how much your plan payment is.


Pa does not have a specfic homestead exemption, but it allows federal exemptions and also allows state laws to apply depending on  how your property is held, with particular focus on jointly held properyt.


the laws are more fact specfic in PA so you must seek the guidance of a pa bk lawyer asap.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption