If I own a property but do not live there and I use the address for car insurance purposes, can I face criminal charges?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a property but do not live there and I use the address for car insurance purposes, can I face criminal charges?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Are you doing something illegal with respect to the property that you own? If you own this property but soley use it for purposes of paying your car insurance I personally see nothing wrong with what you are using the property for.

I presume that the parcel is being rented out to a tenant and that some other parcel that you own is used as your permanent residence.

I am somewhat curious why you are using this particular property solely for car insurance purposes if you own another parcel that most likely is your main residence. Do you reside out of state in your other home and for some reason you get a better auto insurance rate in New York?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption