If I own a home with my ex boyfriend and he is letting someone else live there, can I legally kick them out? What are my rights to the house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a home with my ex boyfriend and he is letting someone else live there, can I legally kick them out? What are my rights to the house?

My ex boyfriend and I own a home together. I recently moved out and someone else has already moved in. I am not okay with this person living there and I am wondering if I can legally kick them out? What other right do I have to the house? For instance, can I force the sale of the home?

Asked on November 25, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot legally kick your ex-boyfriend's friend out. The fact is that since you are both co-owners of the house, you both have the right to have guests/tenants stay on the property. If you no longer want to be a co-owner, then you can go to court and file an action in "partition". This is a legal remedy that is employed when joint owners of real estate (or personal property) can no longer agree as to ownership matters. Pursuant to this remedy, the property will be physically divided if practical, otherwise (as in the case of a single family dwelling), the court will order that it be sold and the proceeds equitably divided. First, however, the party wanting the sale will have to offer the other owner the right to purchase their share before the property is put on the market.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption