If I move to another state with my better half, can I still collect unemployment?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I move to another state with my better half, can I still collect unemployment?

My girlfriend decided to relocate to another state. I quit my job to follow her. My employers are paying me unemployment but I had to come back at the request of the unemployment office. Now I’m being told they have to review my benefits and they may be cut off since I moved. Can they do that?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are actually not eligible for unemployment if you voluntarily quit or resign your job, even if you resign for what are very good reasons--like to follow your girlfriend. There are a few states, I believe, that allow you to quit and receive unemployment to follow someone to whom you were married at the time, but none give you the right to quit and get unemployment for following an unmarried significant other. It appears that not only may your benefits be cut off, but you could be made to repay benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption