If I move out living in California not legally seperated or divorced can I get hit with back child support?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I move out living in California not legally seperated or divorced can I get hit with back child support?

I slept in my clothes for over a year in my chair in the front room then moved into the garage and that got cold, so I got my own place living in the in law place on the same property. I made sure there is accommodations for my two kids but dont want to make them choose between her or me, so they live with her. I told my kids that they are welcome in my life to live with me and left it at that. My question is, in California could she get awarded back child support from me ? Could this happen to me?

Asked on July 7, 2009 under Family Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

i am a lawyer in CT.  If you are not paying child support and there is an order for you to do so, then you may be subject to back child support.  However, if you have not yet been taken to court for child support there is no current obligation.  Nevertheless, if you are taken to court, a judge may impose child support that makes up for you not previously paying.  I suggest seeing a lawyer to help you in CA. If you cannot afford one, then speak to legal aid at the court house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption