If I marry a Canadian, does she automatically qualify for a green card?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I marry a Canadian, does she automatically qualify for a green card?

I’m 76 and she’s 70. We see each other when she comes to FL in the Winter

and I go up there in the Summer. This gets to be very expensive and she’d be happy living in FL with me. We’ve been seeing each other for 2 years. If

we got married in Canada would this be a quicker route to a green card? How long would this process take for her to get a green card? Next, could she get onto my Medicare?

Asked on October 26, 2018 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She does not automatically get a green card.  You would need to petition for her green card as a spouse visa petition.  Depending on whether she is in the US or in Canada when you get married and petition for her, the process can be anywhere from 4-6 months to 10-12 months.    I don't believe she would be eligible for medicare on her own just because she would have a green card although this is something that you would need to find out with the local office for those benefits.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions at this time or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption