If I make my mom a JTWROS,can I gift her as small a percentage of the property as possible (say 1%)? Would the recorder’s office accept this?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I make my mom a JTWROS,can I gift her as small a percentage of the property as possible (say 1%)? Would the recorder’s office accept this?

The reason for doing this is to avoid running down my unified tax credit.

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is "no".  The reason is that joint tenancy means that you both simultaneously own 100% of the property.  If one of you dies, the property isn't "inherited" or passed through an estate, since the other person already owns the "whole" property.  This can be a benefit down the road, since it avoids estate taxes, probate fees, and whatever other things the government wants to get from you.  However, as you are already aware, it will run down your unified tax credit. 

If, instead of joint tenancy, you specify a percentage interest then each of your wills can specify what is to happen to each share of the property.  For instance, you could bequeath it to each other.  On death, however, the share of the property becomes part of the estate and can result in higher probate fees and estate taxes.

This is something that should be discussed with either a tax lawyer or a financial planner in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption