If I’m under a contract and I am terminated, does my employer have to pay me out of the remainder of the contract?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m under a contract and I am terminated, does my employer have to pay me out of the remainder of the contract?

I am a teacher and have been put on administrative leave for 3 days while an investigation into allegations of lewd and crude language being used in my classroom. If I am terminated, does my school have to pay me the remainder of my contracted salary, do I retain insurance, and since this is all heresay, am I able to sue as they will also be costing me most likely my license and ability to complete my master’s degree?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Kansas


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good morning,

Thanks for posting to our website and I hope to offer some guidance. To get right to it an employer is allowed to terminate employment. I would suggest reviewing the terms of your contract, I will assume it is standard and includes a clause for termination and it is for an at-will employment situation. If that is not the case it is very rare and you will need to consult with an attorney to determine how to proceed.

As far as being able to pursue the matter legally, you always have that right. I would however suggest at least an initial consult with an attorney because you want to ensure you have a potential cause of action, which can only be determined after a review of your employment contract

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption