If I’m having a party where minors will be present with alcohol being served, what actions canI take to mitigate legal risks?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m having a party where minors will be present with alcohol being served, what actions canI take to mitigate legal risks?

I tag 21- and 21+ guests to hopefully mitigate the risk of being fined for serving to minors if we were busted and a minor was under the influence. “Bartenders” will be present.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Business Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first step to mitigate the risks of under age consumption at your party is to make sure that certain bands be provided to those over the age of 21 by the "bartenders" serving the drinks. You should also have several people supervising the party to make sure that only those with bands are drinking alcohol.

These "supervisors" are also to be on the look out for anyone who may have drank too much alcohol. If that is an issue, these people's car keys would need to be taken from them and a cab called to take them home safely.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption