If I’m 19 and buying a house but my fiance is only 17, can she sign with me on the house or does she have to be 18?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 19 and buying a house but my fiance is only 17, can she sign with me on the house or does she have to be 18?

Asked on August 21, 2011 Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country a person owning real estate in his or her name must be at least 18 years of age, an adult. If your fiance' is 17 years of age, she cannot legally sign any loan documents to purchase the house since she is a minor.

If she want to be placed on title to the home, while she is 17, either a guardianship or trust must be established for her where the guardian or trustee takes title for her while she is under 18 years of age. When she turn 18, title to the property can then be placed in her name. I suggest you hold off placing title to the home in her name for now and when she turns 18 then her name can go on record for the property by either a grant or quit claim deed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption