If I leave my job in Ohio because there are drug related issues going on there can I still collect unemployment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I leave my job in Ohio because there are drug related issues going on there can I still collect unemployment?

A coworker was let go because he was
involved in drug activity including drug dealers
on the lot and he was bringing and doing drugs
there. I am not comfortable there. And Id like
to kno if I can collect unemployment?

Asked on January 6, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you are would not be eligible for unemployment under this situation. Whether you deem your reason a good one or not--whether other people would consider it a good one or not--it would still be a voluntary choice to leave work: the employer is not terminating you, laying you off, cutting your hours so drastically you are constructively or effectively terminated, etc. Since it is your own choice, you cannot collect unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption