If i inherit a car but i have a title loan on a another car can they take the inherit car

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i inherit a car but i have a title loan on a another car can they take the inherit car

I inherit the car

Asked on February 28, 2018 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Not directly: the second car is not security or collateral for the first. BUT if they sue you for the money due on the loan and win, and you still do not pay, IF they become aware of the 2nd car, they can try to "execute" on or seize it: taking and selling someone's personal property (including a vehicle) is one way that creditors can try to get paid. Again, they have to sue you for the money first and win; then they can go through a legal process to get a court order authorizing the sheriff to seize the car, if they become aware that you have one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption