If I hold a house party and it is invite’s only, what should I do so that I am not liable for anything that could happen?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hold a house party and it is invite’s only, what should I do so that I am not liable for anything that could happen?

There shouldn’t be any under age drinkers there, we are not offereing an open bar, it is bring your own liquor. I just would like to be prepared, we have a band coming in, it’s an outside party.

Asked on June 23, 2009 under Insurance Law, Ohio


Anthony Castelli / Anthony Castelli, Law Office Of

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you can not insulate yourself from liability for negligence. Drinking and driving is the big issue. You should not let anyone get drunk. You should be prepared to call a taxi for anyone that you feel has had too much to drink. if you feel they have had too much to drink and they won't take the taxi ride I would call the police on them . See if you can find portable breathylyzers to give any guest . you are allowing them to drink on your premises . Make absolutely sure no one under 21 is there drinking.

With all that said if someone hurts somebody on the way home and they are intoxicated and their insurance is not adequate you are likely to ger sued .

 So there are no guarantees that you will not be held liable. i'd check with your insurance company homeowners to make sure you have adequate coverage

 Anthony Castelli http://www.castellilaw.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption