Can my employer change my time on the time card without asking me about it?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer change my time on the time card without asking me about it?

I questioned them and was told that they took away 2 hours from my travel time because they do not pay for the 1st hour when we travel out of town for a job? Is this legal if I’m in their company truck and I was not told this before hired?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good morning

Thanks for posting and I hope to offer some guidance. To get right to the point yes, an employer is allowed to have their own standards and regulations. What you need to do is find out if this is in fact a company policy. If it is applied across the board that it is this companies policy that the first hour of travel is not paid for then that is their policy and they are entitled to follow it.

Some companies may have a handbook and if so see if this is included. If not ask around to ensure others have had the same experience. While it was not right that you weren't informed if as I said this is their policy legally they are well within their rights. You can always ask a manager to explain the policy so you know in the future.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption