If I have signed a contract to buy a house but the inspection finds a “mold like substance” am I still obligated to buy the house?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have signed a contract to buy a house but the inspection finds a “mold like substance” am I still obligated to buy the house?

We are first time home buyers. We found a house we loved, placed a bid, it was accepted, our Realtor had us sign a contract, then we have the inspection. Inspector finds a “MLS” covering about 1/3 of the basement and an attic full of it. Seller has come back saying he will fix it but how do I know it won’t come back? We’re really not interested in the house anymore at all, our Realtor is saying we could be sued if we choose to walk away. Are we obligated to buy this house if the Seller claims to want to fix it?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney concerning the home that you are contract to buy where a mold like substance was found during expert inspections. Custom and practice in the real estate industry would have dictated that YOUR real estate agent had an inspection contingency that you would have waived after inspections were completed on the home where you then evaluated whether or not you wished to proceed further in the process and possibly close escrow.

From what you have written, possibly your agent may not have protected your interests in the transaction under the purchase contract with an inspection contingency waiver. Read your purchase contract carefully and then consult with a real estate attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption