If I have full rights of residency in a house, can I rent a room out to someone?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have full rights of residency in a house, can I rent a room out to someone?

I have full rights of residency in my mom’s home. Can I rent a room to someone in that

house? I need to pay bills.

Asked on October 2, 2019 under Estate Planning, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean by "full rights of residency"? If you are a rent paying tenant in the home, you can sublet part of the space you rent so long as your lease does not bar it.
If you are an owner (on the title), you can rent out part.
But if you are not a tenant and not an owner, and your mother simply lets you live there, that does NOT give you the right as her "guest" (which is what you are legally) to rent out her space to another person; in this case, therefore, you could not do this.
If this does not answer you question, repost with additional detail about what you mean by "full rights of residency." 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption