if i have class c mis. tickets and have no money to pay can the state force me to pay and if not why cant i serve time for it.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if i have class c mis. tickets and have no money to pay can the state force me to pay and if not why cant i serve time for it.

Asked on April 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You would rather serve time than pay your tickets? Why in the world would you want to do that? You do realize you would have to report that on any job application, etc.

You racked up enough tickets -- why didn't you try to schedule a payment plan? Get a job, try to make a simply pay plan and borrow money from friends or family to pay the tickets now and pay the family back later. Or better yet, do you have anything you can sell to pay them off?

The court can fine you a lot more if you show you have no intention of paying.  Talk to a lawyer in your state immediately.  Try the public defender's office or better yet, try the Texas legal aid office to help you.  If you want, try a consultation with a private criminal defense attorney at www.attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption