if i have an accident but refused the bac, how long does the state of ohio have to charge me with ovi ?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if i have an accident but refused the bac, how long does the state of ohio have to charge me with ovi ?

had a wreck 6 nites ago, did not arrive at hospital for over 2 hours, officer then asked me to take bac which i refused, so how much time can state of ohio take to charge me with dui ?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The stat most likely has up to a year to file the charges.  Did you get any type of citation or charge.  Usually it is a crime to refuse a BAC test and you risk your license suspended.  If you didnt get charged with anything, then you are very lucky.  You should however, and just to be save, call the police and find out if you have a warrant out for your arrest to determine whether there was a charge file.  you do not want to miss a court date and later get arrested for a traffic stop becasue of a failure to appear in court.   In reality, if you have not been charged yet, the chances of being charged are slim to none.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption