If I have a judgement against me but I was never told of the hearing, what can I do?

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a judgement against me but I was never told of the hearing, what can I do?

I found out recently that a judgement was placed on me and I was not informed as to the court proceedings. By what manner are the proceeding supposed to inform someone about the court date? Also, how can I get this situation rectified?

Asked on February 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What probably happened to you here is that a "default" judgement was obtained against you because you did not file an answer to the summons and complaint that was supposedly served upon you.  What you need to do is to go down to the court and look at the file.  Then you need to bring a motion to vacate the default judgement based upon lack of service of the summons and complaint.  You will need to probably prove that you have what is known as a "meritorious defense" against the underlying action.  Since you have not explained what the underlying action is it is difficult to give guidance on that issue.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption