If I have a credit card bill from 4 years ago, do I legally still have to pay it?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a credit card bill from 4 years ago, do I legally still have to pay it?

If I don’t have to pay it, how do I get them to stop sending me mail asking me to pay?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Statutes of llimitation will depend usually on where the credit card company is located; not where you are located. That being said, 4 years is just about the time these statutes of limitation come into play.  You need to ignore the calls, ignore the emails and do not admit to owing the money.  Then, you need to get your credit reports from the three agencies (you get one free from each of the three agencies each year) and see if the debt is listed.  If it is, dispute it as the statute of limitations has lapsed and make sure if you obtain a favorable decision through the agency's investigation to use this in case there are more Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption