If I have a court ordered parenting planbut thechildren no longer want to go over the other parents house, what do I do?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a court ordered parenting planbut thechildren no longer want to go over the other parents house, what do I do?

The children are 14 and 11.

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are in a very serious situation, which I think that you know.  The court will penalize you for interfering with your ex's parental rights if the children do not go which you need to explain to the children. You could be held in contempt and thrown in jail. If there is a valid reason for not wanting to go - like their paent is abusive or they are neglected - then you need to make a motion to the court to modify the parenting plan "in the best interest of the children.".  The children will be given an opportunity to be heard.  They can not just state that they don't like it there.  The court does not buy that as a valid reason.  Get legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption