If I got deferred adjudication on a charge, is it considered a conviction?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got deferred adjudication on a charge, is it considered a conviction?

I don’t know how to answer the question, “Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor” on a job application?

Asked on August 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Technically, you were not convicted, so you can truthfully answer"no" on a job application. Depending on your jurisdiction, the deferred adjudication will probably not show up to the general public (i.e. the offense will be sealed or the like). However, certain employers, such as school districts, hospitals, police departments, the military etc. may well still have access.

To be sure, you can consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area. Additionally, you can google the state in which this occurred and the words "deferred adjudication"; you can then get specific information on the official government website.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption