if i give a 2 week notice and let go before that time, can my employer withhold my final 2 checks in kentucky ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if i give a 2 week notice and let go before that time, can my employer withhold my final 2 checks in kentucky ?

I owe company money for pto time before it was accrued because I gave a 2 week notice for another job offer. I have tried to work out a repayment after leaving company to no prevail. if they let me go before my 2 weeks are up can they withhold my final 2 checks ? im not disputing I owe but they want it all up front.

Asked on April 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are only paid through when you work, not through when you gave notice, since employment is "employment at will": they can let you go early no matter what your notice said. So if they let you go before your final two weeks are up, you are owed pay only up to the last day you worked. If not paid through your last day, you could sue your employer for the unpaid money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption