If I get laid off while my H1-B application is under process, can I transfer it to another employer

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I get laid off while my H1-B application is under process, can I transfer it to another employer

My legal status is F-1 student in the OPT extension tenure. My employer has applied for my H1-B visa and they had to lay me off due to internal issues. Will I be able to transfer the visa if it gets approved. What is the best course of action, that I can take at the moment.

Asked on May 31, 2017 under Immigration Law, West Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can have another employer file a transfer petition even before the pending one is approved.  The key is that a new petition has to be filed by a new employer and all the filing fees paid again by the new employer.  However, the good news is that it would not be subject to the cap since you have already been counted against the cap.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption