If I get divorced am I liable for bills not in my name andincurred before we married?

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I get divorced am I liable for bills not in my name andincurred before we married?

Also. I am currently giving my spouse 90% of my pay currently. When I am asked to be moved out do I have to continue with any monitary donations since we share no bills jointly?

Asked on November 23, 2011 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  The general rule regarding assets and debt is that assets and debt acquired during the marriage are marital property and marital debt for distribution.  So anything that you come in to the marriage with- asset or debt - is theoretically yours when you leave the marriage.  But sometimes the law looks at your actions during the marriage to see if there is evidence of an intent to make separate property become marital property, like putting your spouse's name on a deed.  It is unclear if it works the same way in debt.  You do, though have to pay for your share of the expenses in the marital home.  Please get some counseling from some one who can see what is before them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption