If I get assaulted while on probation will I go to jail for pressing charges?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I get assaulted while on probation will I go to jail for pressing charges?

I was physically assaulted this weekend by someone. The
person charged at me, threatened to kill me and assaulted
me physically. They took my phone from me as I was dialing
the police and destroyed my phone. There was a witness
who called the police, but the person fled. I am scared to
press charges because I am on probation. What can I do?
Will this affect me negatively if reported?

Asked on April 22, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, pressing charges when you are the victim of crime will not affect your probation. Your probation would only be affected if after investigation, it appears you either initiated the violence or "agreed" to fight the other individual (since people may not legally consent to or voluntarily fight others), but that does not appear to be the case from what you write.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption