If I gave my roomate 24 days notice as opposed to 30 days, am I entitled to any of part of my security deposit?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I gave my roomate 24 days notice as opposed to 30 days, am I entitled to any of part of my security deposit?

I told my roomate (who’s sole name is on the lease) that I’d be moving out on the 1st of next month on the on 6th of last month. He now is saying that I violated the 30 day notice policy and is keeping my security deposit. The conditions of my stay were all verbal. Am I not entitled to any of my security deposit?

Asked on March 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In New York, a landlord may keep the security deposit for any damages over normal wear and tear (subject to certain rules and conditions) and for any unpaid rent.  What your room mate is saying is that you breached the lease agreement and he will be out the rent the next 30 days so he is keeping it. I am betting, though, that renting to you is a violation of his lease agreement.  Just a hunch.  So I would try and play a little hard ball.  Tell him that you will consent to a pro rated amount equal to 5 days rent other wise you are going to sue him and his landlord for the rsecurity and ask for a copy of his lease.  If the tenancy is illegal then you may get more than your secruity back.  Make sure what ever agreement you enter in to is IN WRITING this time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption