If I found my roommates a subletter and they refused because they are “punishing me”, am I stil legally responsible for the rent?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I found my roommates a subletter and they refused because they are “punishing me”, am I stil legally responsible for the rent?

So I had been living with these people for several months in what was a hostile environment; I have proof of it. I told them I was moving out a little over a month before I did, and said I had found them a subletter, she was able to meet them about 3 weeks before I moved out and they said that they wouldn’t except her because they were punishing me. Am I stil legally responsible for the rent? I have the text message where she said it was my punishment

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a person who can sublet from you where you want out of the living situation that you are in, then your current presumed roommates either have to accept this person or be responsible for the rent that you normally would be responsible for.

Your current roommates cannot unreasonably refuse to allow another person take your position as a renter in the unit you presently occupy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption