Can lender go after my mom’s house if my name is on the deed, and my primary residence is foreclosed on??

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can lender go after my mom’s house if my name is on the deed, and my primary residence is foreclosed on??

I have 2 loans on my primary residence. Both are purchase money loans with power of sale clause. Both loans have never been refinanced or modified. I added my name to my mom’s house deed (beneficiary purpose; house all paid for; value of about $320,000). If my home is foreclosed on, would the lender most likely go after my mom’s house?

Asked on August 26, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

California has anti-deficiency statuts concerning purchase money loans where if the purchase money loans are foreclosed upon and there is a deficiency between the amount owed on the loan and what the property was sold for, the lender cannot go after the former property owner for any balance owed. Likewise, even if the loans are not purchase money and the lender forecloses upon the property by way of a non-judicial foreclosure resulting in a deficiency judgment, there cannot under California law be a deficiency owed.

If both loans on your property are purchase money, they are probably an 80/20 split of the total loan for the property common five or so years ago in California.

If your home is foreclosed upon, from what you have written I do not see a legal basis for the lender to go after your interest in the home occupied by your mother.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption