If I fire my Attorny a year into my divorce, will I get time to find a new one?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I fire my Attorny a year into my divorce, will I get time to find a new one?

My sister is getting totally screwed in
her divorce. Everything that the judge
once ordered has been taken away, during
a court that she was not even at because
she was in jail. Her lawyer says it’s a
bad idea to ask for assets from the
marriage. She’s already lost custody and
h asnt even seen her daughter in 3
months. I need to help her. But need
time.she has court in 2 days again.

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you fire your attorney, you will have to ask the court for a continuance to have time to find another attorney and for the new attorney to review the file and become familiar with the case.  Granting a continuance is at the discretion of the judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption