If I fail to pay a civil judgement in KY what are the consequences?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I fail to pay a civil judgement in KY what are the consequences?

My sister in law recently had a car accident. She was not insured at the time of the accident. She went and purchased insurance after to save her from fines and suspension of license. However, she is still worried about the insurance company of the person she hit suing her. She is in a rough spot. She just started a new job, and she is trying to get back on her feet from where she was fired from her previous job. Can the insurance company request wage garnishment?

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Accident Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your sister-in-law is sued and the case results in a judgment against her, the judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment.
Your sister-in- law can stop the wage garnishment by filing bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.
It would be premature to file bankruptcy until there is a judgment against her because she will need to know the amount of the judgment to file bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption