What if I don’t show to court regarding a domestic violence case against my former fiance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if I don’t show to court regarding a domestic violence case against my former fiance?

My ex-fiancé and I got into an altercation in which she tried grabbing my phone. I thought that she hit my daughter because she started crying while I was holding her, so I went downtown and pressed charges. However, after everything calmed down and I spoke to my daughter, she stated that she was just scared, as any 6 year would, and that my ex didn’t hit her. If I don’t show up to the intital court date will they drop the charges on my ex? I don’t want her charged for an anything.

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not ot drop charges is a matter for the D.A. to decide. Additionally, if there is other evidence to support a conviction, then the case may still go forward without your cooperation. Further, if you are subpeonoaed to court, that is a court order and if you fail to appear you can be fined (and possibly even jailed). Bottom line, the case will not automatically be dropped if you are a no-show and you can be get into trouble yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption