If I do not sign the divorce papers will I still get alimony?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I do not sign the divorce papers will I still get alimony?

We have been married 11 years when my husband filed for divorce. During our entire marriage my husband worked and I was a stay-at-home mom.

Asked on June 20, 2011 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you don't sign the divorce papers, your husband can still obtain a divorce by "default". And when this happens the divorce is typically granted on the terms requested by the petitioner (in this case your husband). So if you do not participate in the proceedings it's a good bet that your husband won't bring the issue of alimony up (and generally it will be too late to try and get it later). The fact is that the best way to protect your interests is to be in court to make sure that the issue of alimony is addressed. Even better would be to have an experienced divorce attorney by your side. If money is an issue, contact Legal Aid to see if you are eligible for represention by them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption