If I die would my inherited land go to my spouse or my grandson

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I die would my inherited land go to my spouse or my grandson

I have not been with this man for 10 years but I am still married to him. My son passed away. Would the husband get the inherited land or my Grandson.

Asked on September 7, 2017 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that LA is a "community property" state, so your husband (whether or not you still live with him) would be legally entitled to 1/2 of any property that you acquired during the marriage (you, however, could then leave the remaining 1/2 to your son). The exception being is if you inherited the land. Then in that case it is your sole property, therefore you can leave it all to your son in a Will or Trust. However, if you die "intestate", that is without a Will, then under LA law, your husband would have rights to your estate. He could use your share of the community property for life; this is called a “usufruct". Your children would inherit your share of community property subject to his right to use it for life, plus they would inherit all of your separate property. Bottom line, you should have a Will or Trust or even put your son on the title to the land. At this point, you really need consult directly with a local probate or real estate attorney. They can best advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption