If I did not finish court ordered community service in time, what are my options?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I did not finish court ordered community service in time, what are my options?

I was convicted of 1st offense dui and given a fine, 48 hours in jail, 2 alcohol classes, and 5 days of community service. I completed everything except for a 2 hour alcohol class. The judge gave me another month to do 5 more days of community service and the alcohol class. He was quite upset that I did not complete the class. I was supossed to have the community service completed today and my court date is next Monday. I have completed 3 of the days. I had planned on completing the other 2 day over the weekend. I was laid off of my job on Friday and an argument with my fiancé has me currently staying in a hotel. I do not have a driver’s license.

Asked on October 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You better make it known in a mature fashion the circumstances under which you were unable to complete full community service (i.e, no transportation for the remaining days, or no options for service and the like). I am unsure if the court will allow this but if this is the first offense the court may be more lenient. Just put yourself at the mercy of the court and be honest. If you try to lie or do lie, the judge will know and throw the book at you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption