If I deny my ex-husband of visitatiin, would he have a right to stop his child support?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I deny my ex-husband of visitatiin, would he have a right to stop his child support?

He left my son with a 14-year old guy.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Even though visitation and child support are usually set out in the same order, one is not dependent on the other.  This means that you cannot withhold visitation because he fails to pay and he cannot withhold payments because you refuse to allow him visitations.

If there is a court order in place that sets out specific periods of visitation and sets out when/how child support is to be paid, then either one of you could face a contempt action for failing to follow the orders of the court.  Only the court can modify it's orders. If you don't like what your ex-husband is doing with childcare arrangements, then you need to modify the court orders to place guidelines and who he utilizes for child care.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption