If I decide to quit and give my appropriate notice to my employer, can I still come back and work in that place but for others in the building?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I decide to quit and give my appropriate notice to my employer, can I still come back and work in that place but for others in the building?

I work as a concierge for a condominium building; I’m highly regarded there. Lately, I’ve had issues with my employer for matters that he does not appropriately take care of. For instance, a co-worker wasn’t doing his job and I spoke to our employer about it in a text. He then sent that text to the co-worker and told me that he didn’t send my name with it. Another instance was about another employee and a hygiene problem they had. He sent an email to all employees instead of speaking to that person personally. Lately I’ve been thinking about quitting and giving my indicated notice. If I do, can I still come back and work for residents in the building, even though they’ll tell me that I can’t? Residents can give me work withing the building. What are my rights?

Asked on October 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In a private busness setting, an employer can prohibit a former worker from coming back into the workplace. That is unless doing so violates some written agreemnt that may exist as to this matter or constitutes some form of actionable discrimination (which it does not apper to).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption